myLittleTools Community Forum

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

How users can create automatic back of SQL Server 2005 in myLittleBackup? Options · View
madnik7
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2008 2:21:07 PM
Groups: Member

Hi, how users can create automatic backup of SQL Server 2005 in myLittleBackup? My users need to create daily backup (Automatically not manually) of some of their databases and download it via FTP or HTTP, is there any web service or plan exist in myLittleBackup so my users do it. Please tell me if there a solution exists.

My users need to create daily backup of their database independently. It will reduce our support cost and increase our users. our users don't trust our backup and need more reliability.

Regards
elian
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2008 2:26:36 PM

Groups: Administration

myLittleBackup will give your customers the ability to backup and restore their databases by themselves. But the current release of myLittleBackup does not offer the possiblily to schedule backups.

myLittleBackup offers more autonomy to your customers (especially when they need to install/restore a db) but must be considered in addition to the nighly backup provided by the webhoster.
HawaiianHope
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 1:50:26 AM

Aloha !

Is there an update to this ?

Can we possibly automate backups and use FTP ? It would save me about 3 hours of manual labor on payroll every time we do backups.

Or at least start with the ability to send the backup file to a standard web folder so we can access it FTP and make the transfers faster.

www.HawaiianHope.org
Providing Technology services to non profit orgs and the homeless.
HawaiianHope
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 2:29:06 AM

Actually, Let me expand on that.

We design web based data management tools for non profit orgs. None of them have the budget to hire an IT person nor does “normal staff” really have the understanding (or access) to log into a server and make manual backups (we are talking about social workers and case managers). Even when someone on staff does, often it is the Executive Director (E.D.) that is the most knowledgeable on how to do this, however for the E.D. of an org to take time out of their schedule to manually do backups is really time critical and typically does not get done, except maybe once or twice

It would be BEYOND wonderful to be able to perform a backup so that i can simple mount the MyLittleAdmin like a server object (dll) give MyLittleBackup a one line call from an application (ASP vb-script / php) that says, “backup database xxxx and place it at X:\directory\” This way we can use the servers background jobs/scheduling/cron to automate the process by calling this code.

(Right now we have a daily report that runs and 1 am every day and generates statistics for clients, it would be great to add in about 3 lines of code and automatically backup their full databases too)

Or...
To automatically set the interval to do a backup and place it at “X:\directory\”
i would even be willing to write the interface for you if yo don’t have the time.
(We are hosting with Tony at InfuseWeb, and dealing with him for about 5 years. he can possible vouch for us)

www.HawaiianHope.org
Providing Technology services to non profit orgs and the homeless.
elian
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 12:05:51 PM

HawaiianHope wrote:
Aloha !

Can we possibly automate backups and use FTP ? It would save me about 3 hours of manual labor on payroll every time we do backups.

Or at least start with the ability to send the backup file to a standard web folder so we can access it FTP and make the transfers faster.

No, this is not possible as this is not the goal of myLittleBackup.
The goal of myLittleBackup is not to replace the nightly backups provided by the webhosters, but to give the ability of the webhoster's customers to make an instant backup and easily retrieve it.
elian
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 12:11:13 PM

HawaiianHope wrote:

It would be BEYOND wonderful to be able to perform a backup so that i can simple mount the MyLittleAdmin like a server object (dll) give MyLittleBackup a one line call from an application (ASP vb-script / php) that says, “backup database xxxx and place it at X:\directory\” This way we can use the servers background jobs/scheduling/cron to automate the process by calling this code.

Next major release will offer some API that should help you doing this kind of things. But it will not be available before 2012 Q2.